Skip to main content

Capital Allowance Act 2001

The Capital Allowances Act 2001 is an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom that governs how capital allowances are deducted from income taxable under the Income Tax Act 2007 and the Corporation Tax Act 2009.

Capital Allowances can be claimed for certain qualifying items in a commercial property, that were either installed by the owner or inherited by the owner when the property was purchased.

The items can include, lifts, heating systems, plumbing, air conditioning, three phase electric, flooring, suspended ceilings, doors, bathrooms, toilets and kitchens. Basically, anything that would remain in in the building if it were tipped upside down.

The relief can be as much as 40% of the cost of a property and higher for alterations, extensions and refurbishment and, if you bought or undertook that expenditure in the last two years may well be all immediately available.


Award Winning Service

Our aim is to identify, value and claim Capital Allowances through the use of our specialist team to generate tax relief for your property. Thanks to the Capital Allowances Act 2001 property owners can claim for items that were embedded within the property at the time of purchase.




Do you own a UK Commercial property?

A Capital Allowance claim can only be completed on a commercial property. They can be completed on almost every type of commercial property, as long as a claim has not been previously made.

Are you eligible to pay tax in the UK?

The owner of the property or properties in question must be paying tax in the UK.

Is your property held in a pension fund?

Properties held within pensions funds are not eligible for Capital Allowance claims. However, if you are seeking to purchase from a Pension Fund then please contact HMA Tax.